Who we are
The Brazilian Network Information Center – NIC.br was created to implement the decisions and projects designed by the Brazilin Internet Steering Committee – CGI.br, which is responsible for the coordination and integration of all Internet service initiatives in the country.
NIC.br is the executive arm of the CGI.br. Its mission involves certain rights and obligations, which include:
- registering and maintaining <.br> domain names, as well as allocating Autonomous System Numbers (ASN) and IPv4 or IPv6 addresses in the country throug Registro.br;
- handling and responding to computer security incidents involving networks connected to the Brazilian Internet, which are activities to be carried out by CERT.br;
- projects that support and improve the network infrastructure in the country, such as the direct interconnection between networks (PTT.br) and the distribution of the Brazilian Official Time (NTP.br). These projects are the responsibility of CEPTRO.br;
- producing and publishing indicators, statistics and strategic information on the development of the Brazilian Internet, under the responsibility of CETIC.br;
- promoting studies and recommending procedures, norms and technical and operational standards that will improve network and Internet service security, as well as ensure its increased and adequate use by society, as established by the W3C.br;
- providing technical and operational support to LACNIC, the Internet Address Registry for Latin America and the Caribbean.
The members of NIC.br
The NIC.br is currently composed of four Centers, four councils, and hosts W3C Brazil office.
The bodies responsible for the administration of NIC.br are:
- The General Assembly
The General Assembly is composed of the founding members, both special and honorary, and is the supreme authority with powers to deliberate, having the final say on any matters concerning NIC.br.
- The Administrative Board
The Administrative Board is the body which administrates NIC.br and is composed of seven members: three from the government, chosen by the General Assembly among Government members, and their respective substitutes, and four from the private sector, appointed by the CGI.br.
Representatives chosen by the General Assembly among Government members at NIC.br
- Paulo Bernardo Silva, ordinary member;
Maximiliano Martinhão, alternate;
- Virgílio Augusto Fernandes Almeida, ordinary member;
Rafael Henrique Rodrigues Moreira, alternate;
- Luiz Antônio De Souza Cordeiro, ordinary member;
Sidnei Yokoyama, alternate.
Representatives elected by the General Assembly from the Civil Society
- Percival Henriques de Souza Neto, ordinary member;
Carlos Alberto Afonso, alternate;
- Flávio Rech Wagner, ordinary member;
Lisandro Zambenedetti Granville, alternate;
- Eduardo Fumes Parajo, ordinary member;
Jaime Wagner, alternate;
- Henrique Faulhaber, ordinary member;
Cássio Jordão Motta Vecchiatti, alternate.
Mandate – March 9th, 2013 to March 8th, 2015
- The Audit Committee
It is responsible for the fiscal and financial auditing of NIC.br. It is comprised of 3 incumbent members.
- Manuel Fernando Lousada Soares, President of the Committee
- Alexandre Annenberg Neto, Committee Member
- Nivaldo Cleto, Committee Member
Mandate – from June 7th, 2009 to June 6th, 2011
- The Executive Board
The Executive Board is the body responsible for the executive administration of NIC.br, and is responsible for the compliance with the legislation in force, the Charter, the Internal Regulations and the resolutions of the Administrative Board.
- Demi Getschko, Chairman
- Ricardo Narchi , Managing and Finance Director
- Frederico Augusto de Carvalho Neves, Services and Technology Director
- Milton Kaoru Kashiwakura, Special Projects and Development Director
Periodically, the directors join the Administrative Board of NIC.br to report on the status of internal operations.
NIC.br Organization Chart
Due to its constitution, NIC.br cannot be separated from the CGI.br. Therefore, its structure is as follows:
- Registro.br – Registry of ".br" domains.
- CERT.br – Brazilian National Computer Emergency Response Team
- CETIC.br – Center of Studies on Information and Communication Technologies
- CEPTRO.br – Center of Study and Research in Network Technology and Operations.
- W3C Brasil – The Brazilian office of the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium).